friday feature: kristan serafino

It takes a brilliant team to produce a great photograph. From the art director, to the photographer, to the stylists, every person plays an important role.

Meet Kristan Serafino -hair stylist. Her training began at Toni & Guy, where as an apprentice, she was named a finalist in the Tony & Guy Photographic Awards. Kristan quickly rose to the position of Salon Manager before leaving to work as a Master Stylist at Dop Dop Salon.

Kristan currently works with numerous celebrities and styles hair for runways and fashion editorials. Kristan lives and work in New York City, though her work often takes her traveling.

More of her portfolio can be found here.

Here is our interview, for you:



01. How did you decide on this career?
My mom, uncle and cousin are all hair stylists. My mom encouraged me to get my degree from Boston College before finding my passion as a hair stylist in New York City.



02. When did you get your first big break?
I think I am still waiting for my big break. LOL... Actually, I have been very blessed with the photographers, stylists, makeup artists, and talent that have helped to build my portfolio to what it is today. I don't think the process ever stops. I continue to work daily on taking my work to the next level.



03. As a hair stylist, what is one product you cannot live without?
I think I have too many favorites to list just one. Although, I can't live without a good mousse, paste, and working hairspray.



04. What is your biggest pet peeve when someone comes to sit in your chair?
I have been very fortunate that all of my clients from soccer mom's to celebrities have found solace sitting in my chair. Sometimes we speak the entire time I am working or sometimes I allow a client to have a peaceful moment to themselves. Most of my clients turn into very good friends.



05. Favorite celebrity to work with?
I treat every client in my chair as a celebrity. If I mentioned a favorite, I might offend someone...LOL



06. What do you do to keep clients and make new ones?
I think its a very simple. LISTEN TO YOUR CLIENT. They are the ones wearing their hair everyday. I do not so much as worry about getting new clients. If I spend the time with the client in my chair, it is inevitable that more will come. The client that just left my chair is my walking advertisement.



07. What other hair stylists inspire your work?
I look to so many people, places, things to help inspire my work. I get inspiration from walking down the street in NYC and seeing the shape of a building, Magazines, Old Movies, Different cultures, Museums, Galleries and hair stylists. It is such a wide range that I find it difficult to just pin down one thing or person.



08. If you could do anyone's hair, whose would it be?
Audrey Hepburn or Grace Kelly. Since it is not possible to style either of them, I would have to say that already having styled Princess Caroline is the next closest person to styling her Mom.



09. What is the hardest thing about your job?
I am a PERFECTIONIST.



10. What advice could you give aspiring hair stylists?
LISTEN to your clients, believe in your dreams, and have passion for your art.



Thank you, Kristan! Readers, If you liked this interview, please leave a comment for Kristan.

add to sk*rt

19 comments:

emily said...

She sounds like a dream! Does she know how hard it is to find someone who listens?! (and is the picture at #5 Julie from Friday Night Lights?)

Stanton & Rubi Jones said...

i loved this. thank you so much nicole!

Jessie said...

What a great interview! And I agree with Emily, it is so hard to find someone who listens! In fact, just yesterday a stylist dyed my hair black when I told her I didn't want my hair to be too dark. Oh well, I guess.

Jen said...

This is such a fun interview! It's always interesting to think about all of the other details that go into a fantastic photograph.

Cassie said...

Wow! You are such an intriguing hairstylist! I love your work! I love interviews of how people of success got there, thanks nicole! I'm so glad I found your blog! ;)

KAI said...

Having worked with Kristan on many shoots, I can attest to her amazing craft. She is not just an amazing artist and hair stylist, she is a beautiful soul. And I think that is why her work brings our images to such a high level.

Kai Kaden
KADEN | New York

katelines photography. said...

lovely colors!

Diana Hulme said...

I loved the interview - what an amazing stylist! Her work is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing with us! :)

nicole hill gerulat said...

k is my neighbor, bestie and stellie's auntie!!!

she is the loveliest and I had a ks haircut. loved it!

miss you, sister!

nicole hill gerulat said...

ooops. that wa sme.. natalie. not nicole. i'm logged in as her... eek

Randi said...

I'm a hair stylist and I am nothing compared to this. Wow! Amazing work. I love the second to last image. LOVE!

Teri said...

How can I contact her for a consultation?!

Barbara said...

I am Kristan's Mom, I myself was a hairdresser and my work was nothing like Kristan's. I am so very proud of her and the person she has become. She knows how to treat people and in this field that is number 1.
She has worked very hard to get to this point but there is no end to getting more. love, her MOM

Nash said...

very inspiring for me as a work at home stylist/mom.
great article.
wish i could take lessons from her. i feel so out of it doing hair here and there at home. i would LOVE to know what products she uses.

Eddie said...

Kristan is the best! She and I have been working together for years. She is always bringing her very best best tot the plate. She loves a good challenge and like to be challenged. Her creativity inspires my own. She is a true collaborator and phenomenal stylist. She's fabulous all around!

Eddie Funkhouser

Eddie Funkhouser | New York

Bille said...

Beautiful, beautiful hair and images. I love to see how the hair can be both sculptural and fluid.

Becki said...

Inspiring. Thank you for the interview. It is great to hear of people using their interests, talents, and skills to do something they love.

Shara said...

Having know Kristan for over 7 years- I can attest to her talent (as I am a client) and her absolute professionalism and grace. She started out as my hair stylist and has become one of my closest friends. She is the kind of person that makes you feel better about yourself (and not only because she has given you a rockin' new hair style!), she gives off such a sense of warmth and it is undoubtedly felt by anyone that meets her. That's what's so amazing about Kristan, she has such a humble confidence- she walks in and you immediately think- "WOW, she is SO nice!" and then she begins working on your hair and you instantly become impressed!!! She's THAT good! I am hardly surprised at her success and I know we can all expect even greater things to come!

Anne Flournoy said...

your work is gore-geous. So imaginative and strong.